A Form Template, one of the two different template types in Via Global, is a questionnaire created by an admin to be associated with a term for travelers to fill out.
Once a Form Template is created, it can be named, an introduction can be written, and traveler info fields, sections and custom questions can be added. Unsure what these items are? Click here to learn more!
When creating a Form Template, consider requesting the information that wasn’t required to make an application decision but is needed prior to the traveler going abroad.
Form Templates can be previewed, which allows admins to see what they will look like to travelers.
To create a Form Template…
- Click Forms in the main navigation menu
- Click Form Templates in the dropdown
- Click + CREATE TEMPLATE
- Click Untitled Form Template Name & type a name
- If desired, add an introduction (note: bulleted lists, numbered lists, and hyperlinks can be added by highlighting the desired text)
- To add Traveler Info fields
- Click + ADD OR REMOVE TRAVELER INFO CONTENT
- Select any desired field(s)
- To add a section
- Click + ADD SECTION
- To add custom question types
- Within a section, click + ADD QUESTION
- Click the desired question type
- To mark a question or field required, check the Required? box
- To move a question or field, hover over the field and click the up or down arrow
- To delete a question, hover over the field and click the trash can icon
- To preview, click PREVIEW in the floating footer
- Click Save
Once the Form Template’s content has been solidified, admins can publish it by clicking Publish in the floating footer. Published templates are available to be added to a program term in Program Settings or an authorized program Suitcase.
Admins can edit a published or unpublished Form Template at any time, however, there are several factors to consider when editing a published or unpublished template that travelers have started filling out:
- if traveler info fields or custom questions are rearranged, the new order will be displayed on all copies of the Form Template (past, present and future)
- if a traveler info field or custom question is added, the new field or question will be added to all copies of the Form Template (past, present and future)
- if a Traveler Info field is removed or custom question is deleted, the deleted field or question will be removed from all copies of this Form Template and all associated data will be deleted (past, present and future)
Via recommends editing templates with caution!
Editing a template could result in an admin inadvertently deleting data from traveler forms.
Form Template FAQs
Q: I see ‘Not Publishable’ in the top right corner of my template, what does this mean
A: This indicates that it has the same name as another template; to remove Not Publishable, simply change the name of the template to something unique!
Q: Can deleted draft templates ever be recovered?
A: No – once a draft template is deleted, it cannot be recovered
Q: I looked through the list of custom question types here, but in my view, I can’t see the following question types: Cashnet, Cashnet with code, Touchnet… why?
A: These question types require a custom data integration with an organization’s payment system; if you’re interested in learning more, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to get the particulars!
A: Why can’t archived templates ever be edited or republished?
A: Designing the functionality this way prevents admins from associating old or outdated templates with future terms and incurring negative implications on historic traveler data
Q: I associated a published form template with a term I previously created but I’ve since unpublished the form template, can travelers still apply to the term?
A: Yes, travelers can still fill out forms, even if you’ve unpublished or archived the form template. Template state has no effect on a traveler’s ability to fill out forms. If you no longer want students associated with a program term to fill out a form, you can remove it from the program term.